Tuesday, August 17, 2010

What is the name of that sound or song played by a saxophone at the end of every Saturday night live show?

I like the way it sounds, but I don't know the name of that song.

What is the name of that sound or song played by a saxophone at the end of every Saturday night live show?
Good question - I've always been curious to know the same thing, but I've never looked it up until you asked about it on YA. Saturday Night Live archivist Nick Mayhew provides this answer to your question:





"The song that you hear during the goodnights is simply called “Closing Theme (A Waltz in A).”


It was originally written by Howard Shore in 1975, and has been used for most of the entire show’s history with the exception of the 1980-1981 season.


The piano cadenza is done by L. Leon Pendarvis, which starts right after the last sketch of the night. My friend and musical director Lenny Pickett plays the tenor sax during the goodnights."


No comments:

Post a Comment