Monday, August 23, 2010

What is the technical name for this type of phrase in the English language?

If I have a sentence such as





I got an F on the test because I didn't study.





What is the technical/grammatical term for this time of sentence...? I think there is a term for this; when you use because in a sentence; maybe a compound sentence for example (don't think this is the right answer just giving an example). Thx!

What is the technical name for this type of phrase in the English language?
You're right its a compound sentence! See look at the left side of the conjuction because. It says I got an F on the test and this is a sentence and can stand alone. Now look on the right hand side of the conjuction because. It says: I didnt study and its a sentence. Basically, a compound sentence is two senteces combined by a coordinating conjuction
Reply:because is a conjunction. Don't know about a name for the whole phrase


No comments:

Post a Comment